Should you’re searching for low-lift, substantial, vegetarian or vegan sandwich concepts, you’re going to need to make a deli-sized container of this chickpea salad sandwich filling. It isn’t solely good for actually nice chickpea salad sandwiches, it is also a favourite submitting in lettuce wraps, and a legit snack unfold all through the week. Once you go the sandwich route, it’s like a vegan “tuna salad” sandwich with chickpeas standing in for the tuna. Or rooster salad sandwich with chickpeas as a substitute of rooster. This isn’t a brand new idea, however I believed I’d stroll you thru the model I make round right here on many Sunday afternoons.
What I Love About This Sandwich
There are so many issues I really like about this sandwich. I really like the garlic-rubbed crunchiness of the bread in distinction to the softer chickpea salad filling. And I really like that it retains me going for hours. Principally, it is scrumptious, and it does the job. Should you preserve an enormous container of this in your fridge, not solely are you able to make glorious chickpea salad sandwiches all week, you’ll be able to swap it up all kinds of the way I will define under.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Components
To take a mean chickpea salad sandwich to the following stage, take note of the components first. I’m going sturdy numerous the components others are typically a bit shy about, however I discover this strategy delivers a chickpea sandwich filling that hits all the suitable buttons, and is even higher on days two and three. The flavors actually come collectively. Listed below are some ideas on the components on this sandwich, and the way I select (or take care of) each.
- Bread: I’m going to argue that there are two routes to go on the bread entrance. You’re both going to need to select slices of excellent, hearty sourdough bread for this sandwich. Slices you’ll be able to toast or grill brushed with olive oil and rubbed with the higher a part of a clove of garlic. Or, take the utterly reverse strategy by selecting a smooth, pillowy squishy loaf of some kind of multi-grain sandwich bread. Perhaps you evenly toast this bread, however perhaps not. I most frequently go for the toasted sourdough (pictured all through), and have a tendency to take pleasure in it open-faced this fashion, however there are occasions once I like this chickpea salad sandwich with a softer bread as effectively. I believe you’ll know which camp you are in from go.
- Chickpeas: You smash the chickpeas, and to take action you could have a pair choices. As a result of I’ll do absolutely anything to keep away from unnecessarily having to clean an equipment, I sometimes hand-smash the chickpeas in a big bowl utilizing a big fork, or (even higher!) a potato masher. Some chickpeas are softer than others, it appears to differ from can to can, and I discover chickpeas cooked from dry beans usually have extra construction. If you find yourself with more durable chickpeas, the fork technique could be a bit irritating. Seize a potato masher or a couple of fast pulses in a meals processor additionally does the trick. You need to break down the chickpeas, not try to show them to hummus, so go straightforward on the pulsing.
- Mustard: I choose whole-grain mustard right here, however when you have a Dijon-style mustard readily available, by all means use that. I additionally are likely to dial up the mustard fairly a bit – extra assertive, however nonetheless balanced I’d argue.
- Relish: I normally attain for no matter deli-style relish Wayne has within the fridge door. It’s normally on the sweeter aspect however doesn’t should be.
- Walnuts: I really like the feel and substance a couple of toasted walnuts convey to this sandwich. Give it a go, even for those who’re a bit skeptical. I discovered myself out of walnuts for this spherical of sandwiches and actually loved the pine nut swap!
- Chile: I all the time add a finely chopped serrano to this chickpea salad sandwich filling, it provides dimension extra that spiciness, and a pleasant pop of inexperienced taste. Optionally available, after all, however really useful.
Video: How To Make a Chickpea Salad Sandwich
The recipe I’m posting down under is my base “go-to” chickpea salad sandwich recipe. However I like to mess around. Listed below are some variations I’ve loved over there years to encourage you to additionally experiment with the components you could have readily available.
- Extremely Hippie Chickpea Salad Sandwich: To the chickpea salad, add a pair handfuls of finely chopped kale & toasted sunflower seeds rather than the walnuts, and a tablespoon or so of dietary yeast. End with crushed toasted nori or nori furikake.
- Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich: I really like a spicy the whole lot, however with this sandwich just like the lead spicy element *on* the sandwich, not combined in. Tabasco, Cholula, or different scorching sauce sprinkled throughout the highest of the chickpea salad element is the place it’s at for me. Calabrian Chile paste can be A+ right here because the spicy topping.
- Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich: To make this sandwich vegan, use your favourite plant-based, vegan yogurt. You principally need one thing to tug all of the components collectively, so for those who don’t have a vegan yogurt readily available, you’ll be able to experiment with a vegan mayo, tahini, or a mixture of the 2 as effectively. Consider, that is principally a vegan “tuna” salad sandwich, with smashed chickpeas standing in for the tuna. And just like a tuna sandwich, it is extremely a lot about private desire and ingredient ratios.
The recipe included under is my base place to begin, however mess around a bit with the components you retain readily available and love. Different issues I like to combine in (not suddenly): shredded basil in summer season, a smoked salt, finely shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, a pair teaspoons of miso, a little bit of preserved lemon. Have enjoyable, experiment, and let me know any favourite mixtures you provide you with.
I hope you take pleasure in this sandwich as a lot as I do, it truly is one in all my favourite, straightforward, feel-good lunches. Should you love chickpeas as a lot as I do right here’s the place you’ll be able to browse extra chickpea recipes – there are tons! There are extra sandwich recipes, and a few of my favorites embody this Vegetarian TLT Sandwich, traditional Egg Salad Sandwich, Grillable Tofu Burgers. Or for those who’re simply searching for straightforward methods to mix good bread with good toppings, it is laborious to beat bruschetta, and I discuss by tips on how to adapt it for the seasons on that web page – past tomatoes ;).