I am at all times looking out for cookbooks by Rose Elliot. They don’t seem to be at all times simple to search out, notably in case you are like me, dwelling in america. For these of you who have not heard of her, Rose is an achieved UK-based cookbook writer who focuses on vegetarian recipes – three million copies of her books are in print (and possibly many extra now!). I liked the concept behind her golden, puffy, sun-dried tomato muffins which I got here throughout in Vegetarian Supercook (2006). Not solely does the cottage cheese and floor almond base make them a sensible technique to begin the day, however you possibly can adapt the accent flavorings primarily based on no matter you fancy.
Rose highlights the mixture of tomatoes, cheese, and basil in her model of cottage cheese muffins. The elements come collectively to make your kitchen odor like a comfortable pizzeria. Within the years since I first highlighted this recipe I’ve baked variety of variations past the unique. You possibly can see an herb-flecked model right here. It is loaded with recent thyme, recent oregano and many chives. I’ll embody another variation concepts down under.
Backing up a bit, one of many nice issues about Rose’s recipes (usually talking) is that a lot of them strike a pleasant dietary stability. They have a tendency to mix proteins, advanced carbohydrates, greens and good fat collectively in fascinating (and scrumptious) methods. That is one thing that’s truly more durable to do than it sounds and I at all times respect her method. You see that in a recipe like this one.
Cottage Cheese Muffins: The Elements
The elements known as for listed below are pretty straight ahead – eggs, cottage cheese, a little bit of flour, some almond meal, and many others. Plus no matter accent flavors you need to work in. I do have a pair choice I’ll share although.
- Cottage Cheese: I are likely to seize the low-fat choice right here. And, the bigger the curd the higher right here. The big curds go away good pockets of oozy cottage cheese all through the crumb and I find it irresistible. The smaller curd cottage cheese works nice as nicely, you’ll simply be lacking out on a few of these magic spots.
- Almond meal: You need to use a high-quality almond meal right here. You should purchase it, or grind your individual in a blender. If buying, the skin-on almond meal choice is okay, it’s only a bit darker and extra rustic. I used the lighter almond meal for the muffins pictured right here.
Different Issues To Know
I encourage you to offer these muffins a strive (they’re *actually* good), however hold a couple of issues in thoughts. The feel right here is not trying to emulate a standard flour-based muffins. These are a lot moister, much less bready, and extra quiche-like. Possibly a greater method to think about them is sort of a souffle’s heartier, denser, extra transportable cousin.
The muffins will be made gluten-free, use a GF flour or GF flour mix. If you happen to make the muffins mini-sized they’re excellent celebration fare, whether or not you go Rose’s sun-dried tomato route, the herb-fleck route (pictured) or I’m certain you possibly can dream up numerous different methods to taste the cottage cheese and almond flour-based batter.
Cottage Cheese Muffins: Variations
Just a few variations, and other people have been mentioning different concepts within the feedback.
- chopped olives, lemon zest and chopped herbs
- roasted, chopped mushrooms and recent thyme
- chopped chipotles and adobo sauce
- roasted garlic, pesto and toasted pine nuts
- sautéed chopped potatoes and rosemary
- No nuts model: Amanda famous within the feedback, “ I used half cup flax meal and half cup floor pumpkin seeds. They turned out nice.”
Let me know what you consider these, I actually loved them scorching, in addition to room temperature as a fast snack.
This is the place you possibly can browse extra baking recipes.